View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #13
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Re: What's hiding in the tool box part two

I also have several old tool catalogs showcasing the tools of the trade back in the early days. I’ll start out with my Porter-Ferguson catalog from 1953. This picture shows the many fixtures P-F sold to hold damaged parts in place while repairs took place. The cool thing about them is that the clamping arms also doubled as miniature jacks which could bend and twist the panel back into shape.

Porter Ferguson hammers.

Porter Ferguson dollies and spoons

Porter Ferguson body picks

Herbrand tool catalog from 1939.

More Herbrand hammers.

Herbrand spoons.

Herbrand dollies and specialty pliers. The top pliers are for reforming a fender bead the bottom are the drip rail pliers I showed previously.

Craftsman catalog from 1942 which is just relabeled Streamline tools.

Not really hiding in the toolbox but I’ve had a few people ask about my book collection. Just a sample of my small library of books dating from the late 1920’s to current day. Most of my collection is from the 50’s and 60’s.

A few great books on body work. The book on the left is probably the best book on body work I’ve ever found, very well written and very technical. First written in 1963 by Robert Sargent, this book is the 2nd edition written in 1969 and easiest edition to find. Robert Sargent and his brother Frank would go on write the repair books for Chilton’s, General Motors, and the U.S War department. Frank wrote the first Army technical manual in 1941, which I have.
The second book written by John W. Hogg in 1969, good overall book.
Third book on the right written by Frazee and Spicer in 1953 is somewhat hard to come by but is caulk full of cool pictures and has great information

A MUST have book! The “Key to Metal Bumping” first written in 1939 by Frank Sargent, often called the Bible of dent repair. I have the 2nd edition written in 1948, good luck finding one I’ve only seen one other copy, and the currently available 3rd and 4th editions which can be found darn near anywhere. The 3rd edition was released in 1953 and contains different information then the 2nd edition but I believe the earlier version is far superior.

Finally, a monthly trade magazine called Autobody and the Reconditioned Car. I have a few issues from 1941 and almost every issue from 1953 to 1960. During the 50’s and 60’s Frank Sargent wrote a monthly article on dent repair showing some really amazing work, the guy had some aw-inspiring skills.

Dent repair article written by Frank Sargent the same guy who wrote the “Key to Metal Bumping” books.

I guess that’s all for now. Hope you have enjoyed viewing my collection as much as I’ve enjoyed sharing these old long forgotten tools...Eric

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote