View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
treveiger

Re: Not to impressed with AAW Classic Update and their "template"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I used the sticker template provided with the kit and it's too small the size of the part you cut out is about .100 something smaller then the numbers printed on the template 2.8125 x 2.6875 those are correct if you take some calipers and measure. Must have been a mistake not just the one you print online. Wasn't just your kit they need to fix this because I already cut and drilled the holes then go to mount it doesn't fit now I have to figure out a way to adjust it ill have 2 sets of holes not happy about it hoping it will cover it up.

All in all the kit is pretty good but I had a few issues with the kit. Like mentioned above the issue with the hole template was off by quite a bit. How I fixed this was basically make my own template for the hole, measure it over and over to make sure it was perfect then cut it under the actual size I needed and finish grind it to the size I needed. Once I had the fit I wanted I pushed the fuse panel in and marked my bolt holes by tapping the heads of the bolt with a hammer to punch a spot on the firewall so I knew where to drill. After all that the thing mounted perfectly. Also had issues with the main fuse panel not having the nut properly pressed into the plastic that connects the plug on the firewall to the fuse panel. This made it so the bolt would not tighten up binding the fuse panel to the firewall plug. That was a pain but luckily with the help of my wife and her patience we got it mounted to the best it could. The last issues was also probably the most annoying, the taillight wiring was reversed so when the brake lights were applied the running light kicked on and vise versa. I had wasted several hours going though everything over and over and checking grounds all over the truck trying to find a issue on my end to have it end up that it was a manufacturer error. I was told by AAW it was a ground issue or something I did when I explained this issue i was having. Once I started looking into the harness more than a fault of my own I found the problem within 30 minutes. With this problem I called AAW to talk to them about it and they did send me the new rear taillight harness which fixed the issue. Overall I feel the kit was a good purchase specially with the piece of mind knowing I now have updated brand new wiring throughout the truck which removed the PO "fixes" to the old harness. AAW needs better quality control for their kits but all in all I'd happily install it into another truck.