View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
mygmctruck

!968 4x4 short box step side Restoration / Build Thread

Ok, everyone .

I will try and keep you all posted with pic's , and progress reports on my GMC truck restoration / build.

The Truck 1968 1/2 ton shortbox step side 4x4

Now for a little histiory:

I purchased this truck in 1975 as a daily driver when I lived in the Colo Mtns.
Little did I know , the guy who owned this thing beat the crap out of it , I mean shortly after I got it , the engine went , the transmission went and the frame was cracked at the front steering box.
I put in a engine , pd great money to have tranny rebuilt and had the frame welded.
I moved back to Michigan in 1980 drove the truck all the way here , got married in 1983 , bought a new truck , tore this one apart and it has sat untill now .
My intention when tearing it apart was to restore it right away. But like many of us with new familites , , new house , starting a new business. The truck got put on the back burner , for lack of time and lack of money.
Move ahead almost 20 yrs and I now have the time and money to do this restoration I so wanted to do for 20 yrs.
I have been slowly obtaining new parts and tools for this very thing. I also needed a Garage to actualy do this job.
Well everything is now in place ( Finaly ) and I am slowly getting this started.
So , as I can and as I remember , I will try to keep this threaded updated with progress reports and pic's.
I welcome any and all suggestions and comments.
By the way , I have a 72 cab to replace the old 68 it was total shot ( Mich winters ) Anyhow , I need all the underdash a/c stuff or anything I can get used. So if anyone has anything or knows where I can get it please let me know.

I am looking for some original print pic's to upload. so you all can see what It originaly looked like.

My only request : Please offer constructive advice , oh yes I am waffeling on what color to paint this truck. So thats my biggest undecided as of right now.

Gary

Last edited by mygmctruck; 12-06-2012 at 02:44 PM.
mygmctruck is offline   Reply With Quote