Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Now for the fun part??? First time i ever removed ball joints, i bought a Ball Joint remove and install kit from Harbor freight, I thought it was suppose to work for removing the knuckles from the axle housing yoke but nope! The C portion of the tool was just not deep enough, maybe there is more than one kit at Harbor freight I guess? So i grabbed my pickle fork and 3# persuader and had at it, on both sides when i got the bottom to brake the top broke free as well..

One thing i did notice before removing the passenger side was that the steering knuckle would get tight at the end of the swing to both the right and left, if anyone has an answer to this I'd like to know what would cause it to get snug at full left and right turn i'm all ears.

I also discovered that the upper ball joint is 1 5/16 and my large 1/2 drive craftsman socket set went 1" 1 1/8" 1 1/4" ect.. I was lucky enough to have the correct socket in my 3/4 drive socket set i bought back in the 80's when i went to diesel mechanics school.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote