View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
76C10Stepside

Re: What Would YOU Do?

Just pulled all the plugs. Only one of them was wet. Tried pumping gas out of this and one other cylinder, but nothing came out. It's a 90 degree engine, and the plugs are horizontal. I inserted plastic vacuum hose and did my best to angle it down, but it probably did not get very close to the bottom wall of the cylinder, so if there was still any gas in any of the chambers, it's probably too low to reach.

The engine rotates "freely". Not easily, but can turn it both directions with a short breaker bar, and no noises, so the rings are not stuck. The engine didn't rotate when I tried to start it, so no way it could be seized.

I have motor oil, but no oil filter. It's over 12 miles to the nearest civilization, and farther to the nearest auto parts store. I can't change the oil filter and don't want to waste 5 quarts of oil and risk the drive to town.

Since the engine has not turned hardly at all (only rotated it back and forth about 10 degrees a couple of times), I'm not sure if any gas can have worked its way into the oil filter via gravity. The oil filter hangs upside down, so I suspect this is possible.

So, I have to decide what to do from here. I could let it air out for another day, but pretty sure all the gas that was in the chambers has either leaked down into the sump or vaporized by now (there is no obvious gas odor). From past experience, the gas in the oil probably is not going to evaporate.

I have some important things to do, so would rather not wait for a new oil filter to arrive in the mail (probably faster than finding a ride into town).

What would you do next in this situation?
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote