View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
dmjlambert

Smile Replacing my resistor wire with HEI power supply wire, in pictures

Here is replacing my resistor wire with HEI power supply wire, in pictures. This is on my 1969 CST/10 pickup with a 350 CI engine and TH400 transmission, and an HEI from a later model truck to replace the original points distributor and coil. I looked online and didn't find a lot of pictures regarding this, so I thought I would contribute some. I was a little afraid of this job when I started, but once I got into it, I realized it was quite easy, and it took 15 minutes.

Part 1

First I had a look at the wiring diagram and noticed the white/orange/purple wire goes to a yellow wire, which then goes to the starter and coil. During starting, the starter feeds 12V to the coil, and when the truck is on but not starting, the resistor wire feeds less than 12V to the coil.

Now, having a look at the truck, the yellow wire where it splits and goes to both the starter and the coil is clipped, and no longer goes to the starter. It just goes to the distributor. This resistor wire leading to the yellow wire is no longer suitable, now that I have HEI, because HEI is supposed to be fed 12V. The pictures show:

Wiring diagram.
I found the wire where it comes out of the bulkhead connector.
Looking under the truck where the transmission bell housing is bolted to the engine, a clip holds the wiring harness neatly and that is the point where the yellow wire comes out of the harness. There is a crimp connector to extend the wire that used to go to the starter, to make it longer to go up towards the distributor. I will clip off the yellow wire extension of the resistor wire, and leave the resistor wire unused.

I ordered a replacement wire with connectors already attached, from YearOne.com, part number L00510, https://www.yearone.com/Product/1967...c-truck/l00510
Attached Images

Last edited by dmjlambert; 05-06-2018 at 05:39 PM.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote