Thread: 73-87 4x4s
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #447
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: 73-87 4x4s

Sarge,

You would be crazy to install a Navistar 6.0L engine in anything other than a junk pile. 99% of the 6.0L VT365 (Powerstoke) engines give the rest a bad name. I can freely say that as I work for Navistar.

Desert Bob,

The front has Superlift 6” softride springs, ORD shackles and sway bar disconnect. The rear has the ORD shackle flip, HD long shackle and 56” spring packs from a ¾ ton LWB 4x4 that I added two arched springs to (mainly to help with the weight the truck often carries off-road). It flexes well and rides surprisingly well. Rides much better than my two stock Silverado HDs with IFS!

Truckerboy,

Now that I have the 8.1L calibrations dialed in, it is awesome. Unbelievable HP and torque from a stock engine. This truck goes on trips from sea level in Arizona to 14,000 ft elevation here in CO, a carbureted engine is a hassle to deal with when it comes to such extreme elevation changes. The 8.1L is indeed lighter than the 454 I pulled out but not by much….maybe 50 lbs or so. This 8.1L system is pretty straight forward. I had the tuner turn off the power robbing stuff that takes away the fun on newer engines. EGR was turned off, Torque Management was turned off, Electronic Throttle was turned off (running a L29 454 mechanical throttle body), downstream O2’s were turned off and a 425 HP 91 Octane hot tune was added. It runs an in-tank Corvette/F-body fuel pump on a 87 fuel sending unit. It has not been on a dyno but the tuners estimates feel about right the best I can tell. It can be a difficult at times driving a hotrod engine backed by a dump truck transmission (SM465). The engine wants to run like hell and the ancient trans doesn’t like to shift fast! A NV4500 is planned this December.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote