View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #44
RoyL

Re: 65 Burb body mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
there are 8 body mount positions. 1 insulator mounts top of the frame and the other on the lower side. those rubber tabs unite inside of the frame hole. the part nbrs superseeded. doesn't mean that they are the same but can be used, one can always trim them down if you desire 1 3/4" instead of 2". someone did say the hole was larger in the new one. you can always bush them. these insulators were used up into about 2002 blazers I believe,

Ithink that they wouldn't be to hard to make .the bonding of the rubber to the steel so that it stays together is the question. if on has access to a milling machine they could thickness them properly put the lip on and in business. i do have a hunk of rubber which appears to be the appropriate denseness and hardness for it. my brother got it about 25 years ago. he has been dead for 20 so I cannot ask him about it. it did come from C.P.Anderson Rubber, but the dips--t that I talked to there was no help in trying to get more from them, and of course when it is a small order; don't bother me. in other words it wasn't worth his time to check it out. they did about 10 years ago have a branch here in Victoria but it was closed down , now we know why. they didn't like dealing with individuals even if you were a business
ron
GVDobler, Can't help on the service manual, confused as well. Like you said, at this point, ya can't get the right one anyway.

Thx Ron. You mentioned these wouldn't be hard to make, guess the market (potential sales) for 60-66 panel/burbs isn't enough? This post mentioned someone was going reproduce the correct 60-66 rectangular insulator/cushions, this was in 2009, but apparently didn't happen ... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...1&postcount=23

Here are some pics comparing the originals and the ones I bought (3946246), showing the difference in the hole diameters:

=========================
The pictures you have Ron, of yours earlier in this thread, the steel bonded to one side looks to be the same size as the rubber, but these the steel is an 1/8" wider, which won't allow it to fit inside the channel in a couple locations. Would need to grind off the excess, which dthela acknowledged he did.

And as described earlier in this thread by dthela and carryallnuts, one needs account for the 1/4' larger diameter hole, with spacer material and/or enlarging the hole in your frame.
==========================

here's pics of my 65 Burb mounts, they aren't too squashed...