View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #36
daveshilling

Re: 1958 Apache Big Window Loooooong Bed "Lucky"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
you may try the flap discs for the grinding down part.
sometimes a piece of plywood or mdf cut to the correct contour for the panel is good to have for this type of thing when starting out. that way you can double check as you go to ensure it isn't too bent or not bent enough etc. sheet metal pattern would also work I suppose, whatever you have lots of.
I recommend to cut the hole, then cut the patch to fit big and bent it to shape, then slip it in behind the original spot and mark it fit the shape of the hole. then cut it so there is a bit of a gap between the parts, then tack it in place, checking the contour with your pattern as you go. walk away to allow the whole panel to cool off. come back and spot a few welds between the original ones, like midway. walk away again. each time you come back check to ensure the panel is room temp again. that way it minimizes the warpage. when done use a flap disc to level out the weld, they work on a flatter surface than the usual grinding disc that is made to work on it's edge. again, slowly so things don't heat up and warp. a quick dusting of primer will show you the high spots when you touch it with the disc.
it's always good to have a few other small projects going on when doing this so you are not tempted to go back and "burn it in". less time cussing later when doing the sheet metal prep and bodywork.
what you have there looks pretty good though. some hammer and dolly work and you will be done. if you have a little "innie" dent that has minimal room behind it for a dolly, try to make it an "outie" dent so it is out where you can work it. then use some heat on the high spots (some guys even use a laundry iron because it only touches the high spots) and a wet rag to cool it right after. just enough heat to make the wet area steam, not like cherry red or turning blue or anything like that.
there is a few videos from wray schelin that show using a shrinking disc. same theory, different method. heat the high spot then cool with a damp rag.

Excellent tips, thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
Not to bad, I wouldn't kick it. I may take on your design as I start repairing rust on my own ride.
Feel free! I dont think I'm doing anything worth copying quite yet, but definitely just start getting after it and make some mistakes, its fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58 pache View Post
Great build so far. I also live in roseville.
Been debating on the c4 or full IFS lately myself. not alot of vette parts in the norcal area.
I have a 84-87 setup for sale since I had to switch to the later year due to a mixup with the crossmember that was shipped to me... You're welcome to stop by the house and check it out and get the forum member price 916-304-2145
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote