View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #15
fixit-p

Re: BROWN WHITE Striped wire from the Ignition switch Burnt what can cause this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Fixit-p, I changed your drawing a little. Voltage on terminal #1, is connected to one side of the field, but it also biases TR1, turning it ON. In order for current to flow through the field, it needs a ground and it is supplied through TR1.
No problem, that was a diagram I used in a earlier thread where I was just trying to illustrate that the diode trio is connected to the stator and not the rectifier bridge making the alt self sustaining, your edit does show the complete path to ground.

Quote:
I think we're going to be in some disagreement over the roll of the resistor that is in parallel with the indicator lamp.
That resistor has one primary function. If the lamp fails, the regulator and generator will continue to function normally. If you didn't have the resistor and the lamp went bad, you would have an open circuit. The resistor completes the circuit if the lamp is bad.
It has always be my position that the resistor adds redundancy to the system in case of a bulb failure, so no disagreement there. The system will work with both in parallel or either just the bulb or resistor.

Quote:
I don't know if the "resistor limits current flow to from the alt protecting the regulator or diode trio" as fixit-p said. It INCREASES current flow to the regulator.
You know,,, two resistors in parallel (resistor and lamp) have less resistance than either, alone.
Resistance limits current flow.
and from what I gathered from the OP is that he has a 7 gauge cluster so I wasn't referring or implying that resistors in parallel values are additive as in if they were in series. To calculate resistor value when wired in parallel the following formula applies. I know you know this RichardJ this is intended for others who may read this.

Quote:
If you use the lamp and no resistor the Alt will not begin to charge, but the lamp will glow.
This I disagree with, the system will work fine with just the lamp. Here is the original diagram as published by Delco with just the lamp.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."

Last edited by fixit-p; 04-24-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: image
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote