View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #317
OKGMC4

Re: Yet another GMC build

Well, they say you're never done...

I've had a problem with the vette spring not handling the weight of a truck. It sat low and every time I hit a big bump it would bottom out on the front cross brace. Not fun. Then I got a stiffer Z51 spring to replace my base version and it was 1 inch higher but reallyy the same problem over again. Just too overloaded. About a month ago I bought a set of QA1 non adjustable shocks and a pair of 12" 400lb springs. Turns out that 400lb is still too weak (it sits 1 inch lower than planned with 1/2 inch more preload than recommended) but I gained another 2 inches of ride height and no more bottoming out. Now the BIG problem...

I put in the coilovers and got it aligned and it started pulling a little to the right. Then I got it realigned and it started pulling to the right again. I thought the mounts I made were moving but 3/16 steel doesn't give much. Third time around the alignment guy catches it...the mounting ears from the vette K member are turning in, which means the member is buckling. These were designed for the single leaf to push up from the inside. When I took out the leaf and put all the weight on the shock mounts instead it's warping the K member. Guess that's why Progressive Auto doesn't recommend the sheet metal K members in a C4 swap. Now I need a plan...

I need to bend the mounting ears back and gusset them. Pulling the motor and using a portapower might work but it's a pain. My dad says to make a plate that bolts onto the a arm mounts and weld an 8ft cheater to it and push down on it to bend it, but not sure it would supply the needed force. Then...once that is done I'm considering putting the weaker vette spring back in and dialing the coilovers down to minimum preload and running all three springs to get the right height AND stop the frame flex. Any thoughts or ideas?
Attached Images

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote