Thread: 700r4 Lock Up?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 11:07 AM   #7
RDrancher

Re: 700r4 Lock Up?

I put 700r4 electric vs hydraulic lock up in the search engine and came up with some interesting discussions. From https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/700...ed-115199.html. "The "hydraulic lockup" works off the pump pressure and is so simple and fool proof. The kit is a steel ball and a set of colored springs to choose from. I just happen to select the mid range spring and it seems to work fine for my set up. As you accelerate the motor, the pump pressure builds and overcomes the spring pressure, allowing the hydraulic fluid to redirect into the lockup valving to lock the converter. As you decelerate the motor, and wheel speed allows the pump pressure to decrease, the spring overcomes the reduced pressure and the torque converter unlocks. I have never experienced any failure to unlock and I have experienced lock up in other gears, under heavy acceleration, but you would never notice this if you were not really looking for it to do so. It is not a malfunction and no unusual wear and tear will occur."

But then this..."a ball goes into the solenoid. I like lockup at 55-60. I like to unlock for hill pulls sometimes I like extra rpms until 70-75. Go for a toggle
total driver control." That would be electrical lock up.

So I guess I have to make a decision as to how I want it to function...By toggle switch or hands off.