Thread: 55.2-59 55-57 one piece windows
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #209
DransportGarage

Re: 55-57 one piece windows

Thanks, blackdiesel. I couldn't have gotten this far without your videos!

Well, I got the thing working but the batwing design didn't give me enough travel. I actually simplified the design of the roller assembly to this:

It's 12" long. The only reason I did the batwing in the first place was because the bolt heads interfered with the roller channel. In the new design I eliminated the bolt heads by welding the threaded part of the bolt into the bar. As noted in the video, I did drill two holes in the bar to access the screws that hold the channel to the window. (Sorry, I took the pic before I drilled the holes.) You can't drill both of them directly over the screw holes because the slide is in the way on one of them, but if you loosen the upper regulator mounting bolt you can shift the regulator back and forth to access the holes.

After notching the regulator slider and roller cross bar, the new design causes the window to hit the rubber stop on the door brace just as the window gets to its lowest travel. Perfect.

Also, instead of using all four bolts at the bottom of the regulator I use just the top two. Using all four can cause the mechanism to bind a little.

Another note: I made a 1-1/4" spacer out of a 2x4 to space the bottom of the regulator away from the door. This aligned the glass in the glass run channel for me.

Another tidbit: I bought my glass from "Auto City Classic". The glass is not made correctly. Even with the regulator disconnected I cannot get the glass to go all the way into the front upper corner. I have read that this is a problem with other suppliers as well, so it's best that you make a template or get a known good one and have your glass made from that.

I promised the dimensions of the holes for mounting the lower part of the regulator, so here they are (passenger side shown):

Passenger side shown. To do the driver's side, make the distance between the regulator bar and the door brace the same as the passenger side. The dimensions were taken by hooking a tape measure on the side/bottom of the door and measuring to the center of the hole. A cardboard template of the four-bolt pattern saves a lot of time when laying out these holes, and in making the wooden spacer. I used M6-1.0 x 45mm screws at the bottom of the regulator and an M6-1.0 x 20mm at the top.

That's it. Have fun!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)

Last edited by DransportGarage; 01-04-2013 at 08:49 PM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote