View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #1226
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

The alternator was the problem. Been running good since then, but something else came up with a noise from the front of the engine. Sounded like a knock, but not internal to the engine. Remove the fan belt and it went away. I figured it might be the water pump, so I bought a new one. Sprayed it up nice with chevy orange.

But the noise was still there when I started it again. WTH?

The pulleys were good, take the belt off and its quiet again. Put it on and its back. I start messing with the belt tension and turns out it was just slightly loose. Just enough to make a banging noise as it vibrated. Been good for a few days now. I bought a new belt to keep in the truck just in case.

And the new pump is good insurance anyway. That 1 has been on it since 1985 I think. The new one has a better flow rate and HD bearings. Supposedly.

It's always been a mess to drain my radiator and this time I finally figured out a way to drain it without getting green water all over the damn place. I got a small funnel and put a piece of hose on it so it collects the drainage from the petcock and directs it right into my pan.

Today I will try to get some aluminum stock to make my lowering blocks out of. I got U-bolts made at Kremer Services a few weeks ago. How it's done...

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote