View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #16
mickeykreg

Re: catboat 7 hauler

Just shy of $300 at rockauto got me most of what I needed to rebuild the front end. Upper/Lower control arm shafts w/bushings, upper/lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, and sway bar bushings. Hopefully later I can do the pitman and the idler without messing up the new alignment.

I found out that screw in steel bushings weren't available for lower control arm shafts so I got the "shaft kit" from Moog. Apparently they figure the shaft wears out too. Anyway, replacing the bushings was pretty easy thanks to a 1" drive socket set I grabbed off the local classifieds.

Just gotta get it over for an alignment now. I'd be glad to hear any recommends from any of you Salt Lake locals on an alignment shop. I tried the DIY alignment, but the toe setting is making my eyes go googly. I think I got it close enough to get it across town, but it's still not the way it should be. Pretty sure I got the camber pretty close too.

Alignment, a windshield, and the annual inspection and I should be good for a summer of driving. To make myself feel better about cutting my original C30 coils I scored another set out of a truck just like mine for $22. I was kind of amused at the difference in beef factor between the C10 and C30 springs.

Also found the correct fan shroud out of the same junkyard truck. I've been looking for that thing for years, but whenever i find one it's busted up. Only thing is that this was originally a 454 truck so with a 350 in it now I think I need to run a fan spacer to get the fan centered in the shroud opening. What do you guys think; is it ok to run a spacer with a clutch fan? Is there enough of a gap here to cause a cooling problem?

'80 SRW C35 - 355/700R4/4:11/2.5-3/DD
'77 Cheyenne K5 - Roller cam 355/NV4500/205/4:88's/35's/DD

rust repair on the '77
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=740291
mickeykreg is offline   Reply With Quote