View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
BrianG

Re: Tie Rod for 67-72 4x4 Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
did you specify to them that you wanted a stock position tie rod end? the one listed on the site is for their high steer kits. that will change the length of the center tube. ORD has always been very accommodating for me if you call and tell them what you are doing and what you need.
You don't really specify. That one isn't necessarily a high steer setup. Its the only one that they sell for the Dana 44. (Well other than the even beefier one). In the picture on their website under the crossover/high steering section, they do show it in the high steer position. That is because that truck also has the crossover steering so it requires the flat top knuckles. On the flat top Dana 44 knuckles, the tie rod bolts in from the top. I guess sort of like high steer. However, on a stock setup, the tie rod ends are offset to give clearance between the tie rod and the springs. On later models the tie rod ends were not offset and the tie rod bolted on from the bottom. Their setup would work fine for that. You can see in their picture that the tie rod is VERY close to the spring. Theirs has many more leafs than what I do. I have a 1/2 ton Skyjacker 4" Softride lift.

I agree that ORD is a great, friendly and helpful company. I am not at all trying to bash them. I did talk to them yesterday afternoon as a matter of fact. They had pointed out the picture of one installed on their website. They mentioned that I may have to loosen the spring to get it installed. I did try to install it and by loosening the springs, I was able to get it on. However, with the wheels straight, their is maybe an 1/8" clearance between the tie rod and spring. The tie rod hits one of the springs when you turn maybe 1/4 of the way, and that just gets worse the tighter you turn (all of this is done with the wheels off and just turning the hubs). I've thought about adding the ORD 1" zero rate "springs". That will give me the clearance that I need (hopefully!). That is, if I can't find a good stock setup.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote