Thread: Dash lights
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
kipps

Re: Dash lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoney01 View Post
Checked for power.... I have power to the dash. It would have to be in the circuit behind dash then, correct?
Uh... Define your terms. "Dash" refers to the all-encompassing chunk of metal and plastic in front of the driver and passenger. "Instrument cluster" or "instrument panel" is the molded plastic piece that contains the 5 or 6 gauges.

Quick first check. Do any lights come on with the headlights at the radio or heater controls? If so, the gray wire circuit is working correctly from the headlight switch.

If you pulled the instrument cluster out of the dash, and unplugged the connector from that, you should get 12 volts on the gray wire when the headlights are on. If the instrument panel lights still don't work, it could be one of three problems.

#1, the printed circuit on the back of the instrument cluster is defective. I would remove the instrument cluster from the vehicle, and check it closely for problems. Both visually and with a multi-meter.

#2, you have a bad ground connection. The ground on the instrument cluster should be a black wire. There might be more than one. I'd assume if your gauges are still working correctly, you don't have a ground issue. But depending on which printed circuit you have, it's possible the grounds are separated by task.

#3, all the light bulbs are blown out, and just need to be replaced.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote