View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #90
landarts
landarts

Re: 69 K10 From the Field

Ok so a few days ago while working on the drivers door body work, I had just layed down some body filler over the areas that I welded shut for the trim locations. Waiting for the filler to set up I decided to start striping the other door of all the internals and window rubbers, wind wing etc. Once it was all done I tossed all the parts, nuts and bolts into a 37 gal black storage tub from Home Depot that was full of a mixture of Oxalic acid and water to remove the rust.

This morning about three days later I went out to garage to get set up for the work being done today and thought I would take a peak in the tub to see the results.

Photo 1 is the before
Photo 2 is the after
Photo 3 is the product I used (link to Amazon)

I ordered it from Amazon, cost about $15 dollars. I used 1/4 cup of the Oxalic acid and about 30 gallons of water. I just leave it in the tub with the lid on it. This is the second project I have used the same mixture on. The last project the 68 Second Chance I used it on the seat sliders and other parts.

How I came about using the is one day I was reading an article about a guy who restores old bicycles. I followed the article link to the actual build thread of the bike and was amazed at what this chemical could do. He took an entire bike apart that was 100% rust and soaked it in a kiddie pool of the Oxalic acid. When the bike came out of the pool it was a red and white bike with all the decals still left on the bike. After reading further I found out that it is used as a wood bleach and thought what the heck I will give it a try.
Attached Images

68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote