View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 02:53 AM   #13
fixit-p

Re: BROWN WHITE Striped wire from the Ignition switch Burnt what can cause this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
<hyjackie> "resistor" explain please. my truck has been converted to internal reg alt. and the rewire looks "ok" other than the two that you cross at the old reg plug. they just snipped them.
but what is this about a resistor, the alt in it is a basic 63 amp (and 15 volts at idle)
but I have a new 84 t/a ho 96amp waiting..
????????????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by petey-pablo View Post
Wow I wish I would have know this before hand looks like I will be changing back over to 3wire sooner than I was expecting "And so the result of this ONE-WIRE method would be dimmer lights and overall weak electrical system performance; in fact often worse performance than with the original" from the mad tec articalThis Sucks.
Yeah I agree with Vettevet that autowire tech's advice was a cop out the one wire is a downgrade as you have found out. here is the diagram Vette referred to earlier of the SI alt.

The #1 terminal which is the field terminal is also connected to the diode trio which is connected directly to the stator, so that means the diode trio will see and can handle full alternator voltage (the resistor is not there to drop voltage to the field). What the diode trio can not handle is full alternator current (amps) so the resistor in the field wire limits current flow through the diode trio thereby protecting it. The diode trio is rated @ ~3-5 amps and if you were to have a problem with the cab supply wire (maybe high resistance at the bulkhead connector) and you had a high demand in the cab the field wire will try to fill that demand and short out the diode trio but with the resistor it limits what you can draw from the diode trio. By limiting current from the diode trio the resistor also prevents engine run on because once the alternator is excited it is self sufficient. The CS alts don't have a diode trio but the resistor protects the regulator instead. As Vette stated the CS is the better upgrade mainly because they have delta stators and deltas can produce higher amperage at lower rpms. A popular mod in the rice rocket scene is to rewire the bikes Wye stator alternators into deltas because of the higher output. Here is a diagram of the CS alts with the recommended resistor values in the upper left.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote