View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 07:12 PM   #60
Grizz1963

Re: The Super Duper Haggis Hauler

HimMate,

I was wondering if you know,what all the parts cost you, and what the shipping cost to get them here.

I hope you do not mind, but here is some stuff copied and pasted from my thread.

May be of help.

The weather does not seem to want to play ball at the moment.

I am doing various little jobs that I can "pack away" once they are done, till it is time to reassemble.

I do not know if it was clear from my previous rant, just how lacking the chrome and finish was on the 67-72 rear bumper I had bought for he truck.

One of the problems with this sort of low rent and shoddy finish, is that one then needs to spend time and money to prevent it from self destructing in a years time.

So I bought two cans of RustOleum Zinc spray, and a can of Aluminium finish spray paint.

Inside

Outside

Looking at the difference in thickness and quality between the front and rear bumpers I have bought, it is pretty obvious which is the rear one.

Masking up took the most time, but we know preparation is what it is all about.

Not exactly pretty, but once the silver is on there as well, I will be happy that they have a fighting chance against wet and road grime in years to come.

Murphy's Law..........

Why? It was indoors in the garage.

Just back from the garage.

I bought a tin of "Aluminium" coloured paint, wanting the silveriest paint I could get to go over the Zinc paint.

Well, sprays less than it splatters, paint stopped coming out of nozzle halfway through the job, so half a can of paint I cannot get out, going back to the shop to return it tomorrow, and maybe buy some silver paint for the rear bumper.

I really am just adding the silver paint to the rears to match the chrome as the zinc is more dull and grey like primer.

So this was the result, fine for what it is, but not as good as I expected or want.

Came home tonight and repainted the front bumper and painted the rear one as well.
Both got two coats of paint with an extra pass or two over the bolt holes.

I am now quite happy that these will survive for a while, and not look like throne I took off, too soon.

Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote