Thread: budget swap?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
68c10owner

Re: budget swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
68, what's the fun in having all the PN's and directions?

1983,huh? you would need mounts, Dirty Dingo ( the flat plate to attach the motor to your mounts), Walbro 255 fuel pump, corvette pre filter and filter/regulator( this depends on year of motor)
tune/harness,

You could also get a FI tank for an 87 and put the pump in there.

what else would you need to know?
Well it makes it easier for us guys who haven`t ventured into the late model stuff before. I guess that pretty much covers it except the actual install itself but shouldn`t be too dificult. The fuel system and electrical is whats going to take me some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
DON'T get a 4.8 - for the money, you can get a 5.3 and you'll be happier should you decide to start pushing the performance end of things

DON'T re-use a transmission of unknown quality. you don't wanna put it all the work, and smoke a 700r4 on the third time round the block. Also, if your motor is DBW, you have to change to DBC to use any of the cable transmissions

DO get your harness re-worked or have a custom one made. If your confident and have time, you can save money modding your own harness, but usually for the cost of the stock harness + mental sanity you can have one done for you. Some companies also include stuff like a fuse block etc that makes wiring easier.

DO try to get the motor as complete as possible. Makes tracking the "little things" easier when they all came attached to the motor.

DO be realistic about budget. Even on a tight well controlled project, there are always some hidden costs. Don't strand yourself.

With this project I`m not nessicarily looking for performance but a reliable drivetrain that has more power than my smogged out 305 and gets decent economy. I figure I should be able to get close to 20mpg with either set up. I seem to find more 5.3`s for sale than 4.8`s anyway so I`ll probably go that route. As for the tranny, they usually come with some sort of a 30 day warranty from the yards but my friend is a GM tech with 30yrs of building transmissions so I could have him freshen it up pretty cheap.