View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
68Gold/white

Re: 2001 instrument panel inop...

Well I worked on it Dec 2nd. Searched internet some. I crammed my hand behind pass side head. Found vent for transmission, but nothing else... Thought that was a good place to put that.

Found the ground wires beneath drivers door. They were intact. I removed the bolt anyway and cleaned up the terminals and the spot on the body. This made no change in cluster.

The cluster (in it's inop state of being) had a couple of gauges that did work. I believe the gas gauge was one...I fooled with it a little more. Gave up for the day.

Next day I crammed my hand further behind pass side head.
To anyone with same problem you have to reach nearly to the center of the intake area, it is a tight area
Found a piece of that plastic corrugated wire loom that was hanging free!!! Aha!!! It had wires in it. There was enough slack I could pull the piece around side to look at it!!!

There were 2 wires in it. Both black with a tiny white strip on both!!! First thing I did was text them for power with ign swi on, nothing. Then test them for power with engine running, nothing. Next I grounded them to the coil bracket on the valve cover, the cluster worked!!! Yee Ha!!!

BUT, the gear selector and odometer did not light up........
I looked on internet again. Solder the teenie weenie little gaps that I saw on internet video. Now that stuff works too...

THe pickup has like 230,000 miles on it, no wonder...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote