Thread: Serious Black
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #256
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Serious Black

Haven't posted in a while thought I would since I had a couple minutes.
I have been chasing a knocking sound for a while, mostly happened in
The mornings right at startup. Well, to make a long story short, I have been
Changing the lumpy solid lifter cam in my 383 to a little less radical hydraulic
cam, while I was removing the water pump and accessories, I noticed the crank
pulley turned a little too easy.....grabbed the belts and wouldn't you know it...
the harmonic balancer key way was wallered out.
Now just so you know, I'm running a scat cast steel crank and rotating assembly.
Don't know if the keyway was worn when I first installed it, but it sure is now. I just bought a new stock balancer, should be good to go. I got most everything done last night, just have to install the timing cover and balancer, and set the valves, put the covers back on the heads and button everything back up.
I did change my intake to a dual plane Weiand "Stealth" intake and a smaller 600 Holley, so I believe I'll have a better combination of gearing/torque and driveability. I believe that solid lifter cam just didn't like to run at lower RPM's.
Kinda bucked on me on deceleration.
Oh yeah, I changed my cam to a comp cams 270H grind, I had been running a drag race solid lifter cam, 106 lobe centerline, .512" lift, 298 duration intake/exhaust, just to radical for a 700R4 with a 2000 stall convertor, even with
3:73 years.
Well, work calls, I'll post more later.
Have a good one!
Ben
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote