Thread: Stupid Dumb.
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 06:36 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

Re: Stupid Dumb.

I have a 10' utility trailer I bought new in '97. It's a HD one with 3500# capacity and 15" wheels. I always assumed the wheels were 5 on 5 GM pattern. I always wanted to get some styled steel wheels, center caps, and beauty rings from an 88-98 1/2t to match up to the factory wheels on my '92 K3500 I towed it with, just never got around to it. Fast forward many years and the '92 ended up with the Ford Accurides and 76-91 hubcaps, so I came up with some 5-lug steelies for it. I was waiting till I bought new tires to put them on. The truck saw it's end before that happened and now I pull it with the '95 K2500 Suburban that I put the wheels from the '92 on, which I painted a dark grey. Last fall I was ready to get tires, so I sand blasted the wheels and painted them the same color. I went and had new tires mounted. brought them home, went to mount them up and DOH!!! Wrong lug pattern! Turns out they are 5 on 4 1/2"! Where the heck do you find the small Ford lug pattern in a 15" wheel that used outer nubs? Mopar used a smaller hubcap (a few exceptions). By the time cars started using outer nub style hubcaps they were running 14" mostly. This is just an old trailer, but I want to lose the now crappy looking typical wagon wheels. Not into buying brand new for about $100@.
I went a local swap meet a couple weeks ago that is mostly inside, but there were a couple vendors set-up outside (rainy day). There was a guy with a lot of old steelies and they were even marked. I looked and looked and found two 15 x 5s that were 5 on 4 1/2" and had outer nubs! I was all excited and ready to buy before even going in to the big show, but the guy wasn't around. I went in for a while, but could only think of those wheels. I went out and there he was, I bought them cheap, and ran them back to the 'Burb. I told the guy they were going on the trailer and he said, "Good, because they're no good for any car". I guess he meant there are so few cars those would be right for that he felt lucky I could use them. I felt lucky,too! So lucky that when I left the swap meet I ran them straight to the sand blaster. I painted them, let them cure, and last Thursday had the new two sizes over tires mounted. Just hauled a load of firewood home yesterday and am a happy camper, except now I want to find another for the spare!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote