View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 01:06 AM   #155
joedoh

Re: 1941 1/2 ton project Hannah

there is gas in the tank, I keep the fluid systems of the donor sealed and complete as possible. brakes, coolant, transmission fluid. When I do the filler neck (or move the engine back) is the only time the fuel system is open to air.

gas fumes are heavier than air, they "pool" and crawl along the concrete. this is why an open container of gas is the best deterrent to spiders because they suffocate in the fumes.

I had both garage doors open, a carpet fan making positive pressure through the basement door, a sealed fan blowing on the floor out the garage doors (this also vented the bad fumes from the galvanized filler neck), the vent line clamped, and the tank fill neck plugged with paper towels and then covered against an accidental spark. I am only in a 20x20 and would have pushed the truck out for the work but the wheels are off in front. it was a risk for sure, but a calculated risk.

if I ever have the system open for any length of time the tank goes outside and gets rinsed. fumes are more dangerous than the liquid!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote