View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #32
theastronaut

Re: How low without converting to disc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
theastronaut:

"and the springs get loose in the cups when you lift the truck with a jack"

I fixed this issue by using a longer upper bump stop. This doesn't allow the a-arms to drop as much during jacking and keeps the springs tight in the pockets.

Great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
Astronaut, you run an o.e.m. single pot m.c. with disc brakes? Most people who make that kind of upgrade are happy to be rid of that thing.
Yeah, just a standard original M/C. I grew up driving a '64 VW with manual brakes so a lot of cars with boosted brakes just feel weird to me... not as much feedback from the pedal, too much pedal travel, and harder to modulate as precisely. So I like manual brakes better. I had completely rebuilt the stock brake system before swapping to discs so it already had a new stock M/C; I tried it and it worked great. If I do another I'd add a dual circuit M/C since they're safer with the same bore size and still no booster. It's not needed. A lot of "upgrades" are monkey see-monkey do, or people are misinformed by others saying that you HAVE to have power brakes to be able to stop good. The guy that bought the truck was skeptical of it when he first called about it but after test driving it he liked the pedal effort and feel.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote