View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #12
joedoh

Re: 1941 1/2 ton project Hannah

so I borrowed my neighbors a frame but I saw a couple problems right off the bat.

attaching the chain falls to the pipe with standard chain would have them too low, I needed as high a free lift as I could get to get over the frame. I bought some short lifting straps and wrapped them around so the chain fall would be right at the upper bar. to get even more lift potential, I took two 4x4s and bolted them together, then put the eyebolts in the lower 4x4, giving myself another 3 1/2 inches of lift.

I leveled the frame and used the dimensions I got from fenix, and tacked the mounts in.

let me tell you, I am never using a cherry picker again. using a cherry picker you are acutely aware of the weight you are holding up, it FEELS heavy, even jacking it up. and you have to move all that swinging weight because you cant roll a frame over the cherry picker legs. rolling it sucks.

I did this on a rainy day, and didnt get a drop on me. I lifted the cab, rolled the body cart out, rolled the frame under, and dropped it down. it took longer to cut the steering column shorter on the 41 because it looked close to the trans than it did to lift, align, lower, and push back in.

IMG_7333 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7336 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_7337 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

guys who want to leave the v6 in the stock position should look at this photo. I need at least a 10 inch rearward move. It also looks like this truck (it looks to be a 42, not a 41, the handles are wartime bakelite) has slightly different mount dimensions, so I may need to move them around a little.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote