View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 12:56 PM   #43
saxart

Re: Red Head Quick Ratio Steerng Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I am I correct in my understanding that my 4 1/2 turn box will not be an acceptable core?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
There's a good question that hadn't occurred to me. What IS an acceptable core? Can't really justify 500 for a new box.

When I got the RedHead that's installed in my '70, I wondered the same thing. They said they would take it but it had to be clean, so I scrubbed the outside of the steering box in a pan of mineral spirits, dried it off, and packed it in the box they had just sent the close ratio in. About a week later there was a credit on my card for $150. To me, that's really good customer service.

I wish all vendors were the same. When I got the rebuilt quadrajet from National Carb, I emailed them asking if my freshly rebuild Rochester 2-barrel would be acceptable for a partial core. They said YES, so I boxed it up. Cost just over $20 to send it to them. That was 18 months ago and I still haven't gotten anything from them for the core. Both times I called they said, "I'll look around and give you a call back later today", but of course they never called back. (Grrr...) Sorry for venting.