View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
RADustin

Re: Gas vs Diesel Gas Tank Sending Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
You do not want to return fuel to the bottom of the tank. It'll aerate the fuel. That'll raise hell with the injection system and wear the fuel pump and injectors out... If she'll run with that much air in the fuel.

Might I suggest that you just use the vapor line on the stock sender and build a new supply and return...

You want to factor in assembly... Those clamps don't look very accessible if you don't have the hand size of an 8 year old to reach thru the sender bung. I think I'd modify the stock sender with larger tubes or put a removable PEM-stud or PEM nut bung next to it with the supply and return lines.
I'm going to check on accessibly tonight. I was fairly sure I can fit my hand through the stock sender location to snap the clips on, if I can't I have other options.

I may lengthen the metal tube from the top bulkhead all the way down into the sump, and not use a rubber line at all. That top metal tube will be welded to the bottom of the ORB 90. If I do this, I'll just have to make a jig to locate the top and bottom holes pretty close to concentric. The bulkheads will be ORB, so there is a jam nut to set fitting rotation and general height, so that's to my advantage.

I'm using an airdog II-4G lift pump, so that should filter the air out. Although I'm still uncertain about returning the fuel above the liquid level or below. I always thought below the liquid level would produce less bubbles. Like filling a bucket of soapy water. If you put the nozzle in the water it doesn't foam the soap as much as if you spray the top. Also returning below in a metal tank would be quieter, less waterfall effect inside the tank.

I can always drill the return tube[factory feed] with holes in the sides to give the fuel a way out before its under the liquid level, and cut it shorter right below the sender. I really don't want to get into trying to modify the sending unit with larger/additional tubes.

I'm not sure what you mean by PEM studs?

Basically I have 5 connections-
1- Lift Pump Feed, 1/2"
2- Lift Pump Return, 3/8"
3- Engine Return, 3/8" [original feed]
4- Vent, 5/16"
5- Jockey Fill, 1/4" [original return]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
Not trying to be a wet blanket. I'm a realist.
no I appreciate the conversation.

1976 GMC Sierra Classic C35 CCSB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...25#post8188825
RADustin is offline   Reply With Quote