View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #68
dmjlambert

Re: Alternator question

I don't think you should be bummed out. The conversion to 12SI is much clearer than CS. There is not a clear description anywhere of exactly what to do. This thread is as close as I've seen, but the information about an application didn't appear until after you bought the 12SI.

In order to be clear (for me), the instructions for CS conversion need to have:
  • The alternator application. This is the required information that you walk into an auto parts store with, in order to get them to hand you the correct alternator across the counter. Without that, our only choice is to buy generic Chinese crud from Amazon or eBay, and we may not use a Delco/Remy. Until vince1 spoke up with "89 Pontiac Safari is a CS130 that has the V pulley" I don't think anybody had previously given an application. gmachinz has now also given another application for what appears to be the same alternator vince1 mentions, except the pully style. It is good to have a list of applications to choose from, like we have had for a while for the 12SI, by looking at the Mad Electrical website.
  • Part number and source for a suitable junction. I've decided to use the stock junction like the one on the passenger fender, and I will put it on the driver side fender for the alternator output. You've also found a nice junction.
  • Part number and source or application for the alternator connector, and clear information about the resistor for the L terminal, including part number and source or application. I've been researching this and I think perhaps ACDelco PT2145 is the correct one, it is an SI to CS130 adapter with resistor built in. There is no more Radio Shack to walk into and pick up a resistor, and even if you pick one up from somewhere, you still need the connector. So I am kind of liking that ACDelco PT2145 as a choice. With an ACDelco part number, it should be possible to get it from many sources.
  • The wiring diagram. I have added to the "Color Wiring Diagram FINISHED" post in this electrical section, I hope I got it right. If anybody points out errors, I will edit it.

Fortunately, it is not a very expensive project to experiment with, perhaps a couple hundred dollars for everything including a fresh Gates belt.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 05-27-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: minor corrections and punctuation
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote