View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 01:38 AM   #12
drivingslow

Re: Electrical Troubles - C10 Chevy 1971

thank you both...

72lb4x4
and
WorkinLONGHORN!

i have studied the wiring diagram forwards and back 72lb4x4!

just having some folks, give some additional insight, helps stop the idea you are searching in vain. your responses, and tips are sincerely appreciated.

WorkLH: will do the fuse box pull next, thanks.

updating on the search...

tonight was a cold cold one, and i thought i had it licked, finding an old burnt wiring splice connection, but having it properly repaired, the trouble still exists.

after all the grounds were cleared, a new regulator, i now have hazards.

but the heater switch, turn signals, wiper switch, cig lighter, still light up a 'alt gen' light.

there is simply no power to these items.

i have power to the red leading to the regulator, and on the red leading to the connections to the fuse box in the engine compartment.

i know my altenator is charging fine, but shouldn't i have other power in the other wires, like blue, white, etc., as well coming from the regulator?
(or do they power only when the acc. is turned on?)

i am a little tired, sorry, long day.

one of the strangest items, when the v. regulator is properly grounded, the alternator light comes on when key is turned, and stays on (and i know it is charging-working alt).

and when the ground is removed, the alternator light works properly, disappearing after ignition, and only light with turning on various acc. such as wiper, fan, sigs, etc.

used a test light on this voltage regulator ground connection, and it is seemed far too powerful to be merely a ground.

it sounds odd, and i fear the previous owners (a few i am certain), spliced and switched something ugly.

the wild thing is, had it working fine for several months until winter hit. thus i imagined it was a bad ground, or connection, not being wrongly wired.
drivingslow is offline   Reply With Quote