View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Changing COG Dynamically

I read an article about 15 years ago where Mercedes did it for some European road course car.

Yes the concept works, but unless you have to build up to a weight it is not a good idea. Mercedes used a trick of the rule books to do it, by putting a big motor into a smaller car. Then they had to add ballast, and this opened up to staging the car the way they wanted. The car had rams that would move the ballast from left to right depending on which corner they were at.

If I were building a pro-touring truck I would just concentrate on keeping weight centered inside the trucks frame the best I could. Other then that your throwing tons of money at smaller, and smaller gains.

One guy I read about years ago as the pro-touring craze got started built a road race ready C20 for a hair under $10,000. Yes he bought lots of things of CL, and it was built to a class. He was able to run with prepped Porsche's, and other exotics. Plus the guys who beat him in the had many many many more times the dollars he had into his truck.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote