View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
jocko

Re: Has anyone EVER restored a bed properly?

Dave, I know where you're comin from. I prefer the factory painted beds personally. And, now that you mention it, I have to admit I've never ever seen a wood bed painted (as in, restored) factory colors in the 67-72 era. I intend to do this with my 72 when the time comes. Not as flashy for shows, and I do like the stained and shiny wood beds too(!), but it's just what I prefer. I have seen this done in the 60-66 world, rarely, but on occasion. Keeping in mind that they didn't get body color in that era, all were lamppost black, but still the same idea, factory is factory. Here is one of the best examples out there (this is member Yelmer's recent 66 Custom Camper restoration). It's a lot more work than just slappin paint on some wood boards, highly recommend reviewing his build thread before going down this road, I think it's as much, if not more, work than the current staining approach. So, I'm with you, I would LOVE to see a 67-72 restored wood bed that was done to original factory colors. And I'd REALLY love to see one on a dark olive truck..
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote