View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #1
402Bowtie

K10 SWB Purchase

I had some fun this past weekend and thought you might enjoy some pics

It took me a few minutes to convince myself (and roughly a week to convince my wife) that I needed another truck, but it is hard to turn down a '72 SWB 4x4. Somewhat surprisingly, the truck was still available when I called to try to make it mine.

A few things that I think are interesting about it:
-It is a 4x4 that was ordered without F76 Front Wheel Lock Hub...Sorta rare (also probably not desirable).
-It is a 4x4 that was sold new in New Mexico...The build sheet appears to show it delivered to Ed Black's Chevrolet Center on San Mateo Blvd in Albuquerque. With the front and rear glass removed for who knows how long, I was surprised to find any of the build sheet remaining.
-It was built with heavy duty everything--radiator, springs, battery, and the high-amp generator. With all of those items and the manual throttle, I wonder if it was used for plowing in a past life. The little electrical connector on the front bumper might also point to this.

I'm not sure what my long term plans are for the truck. In the short-term, I'll be focusing on my K20 build. I did grab another cab and some sheet metal from the seller. The K10 cab has had a lot of cutting done without bracing and has an antenna hole in the roof...which makes me nervous.

Some questions I have:
-I am confused by the 3.73 axle RPO. What was the standard ratio for a K10? I thought it was 3.73.
-Are there any examples of Ed Black dealer emblems or decals? If so, I'm wondering where they were typically placed on the truck...cowl, tailgate, etc..

For everyone's future reference: a U-Haul truck will successfully haul a cab and a trailered truck. The rear axle bump stops were about an 1" from touching.

Attached Images

402Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote