View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #21
tristan

Re: Project Checkbook - 1971 Jimmy Custom

Wow, it's been two months since my last post. One reason for the gap is because the project has shifted over to mechanical rebuild. It's a necessary phase but doesn't make for much in the way of progress pictures. It still costs a lot of money.

Before the mechanical work began I decided to spring for an undercarriage cleanup and undercoating. The shop degreased and wire-wheeled the underside of the tub and the frame and then coated them with U-POL Raptor. I have to say that I am not all that happy with the appearance which is much rougher than the example I was shown on another vehicle. In any event, at least the underside is clean and protected and I can always do something about it later if I can't live with the undercoating.

Phase I of the mechanical work took care of all of all items necessary for the Jimmy to pass PA state inspection, including a lot of brake work. The brake booster and hoses were replaced along with the windshield wiper motors and just about every switch on the dash. The shop also rebuild the left front hub and replaced the wheel bearing and put in a new set of valve cover gaskets and a battery. Phase two of the mechanical project will tackle some comfort items like the AC system, etc.

This week the Jimmy went back over to the body shop for a new phase of work that is more photogenic. I am having them strip the entire interior, including all of the dashboard components, and remove the top. I am going to have the interior painted and I'm send out the steering column and instrument panel to board members for rebuild.

The shop does a lot of Corvettes and they know their fiberglass so I am having them inspect, repair and repaint the top. I'll also strip and replace all of the weatherstripping while it is off the truck. I've been dying to see the Jimmy without its top so you can share the joy. These pics were taken today during the teardown of the dash and top.
Attached Images

tristan is offline   Reply With Quote