View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
ChevyTech

Re: 1991 Sillverado 5 Speed trans problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free88 View Post
An update on the shifter. Thanks for all the help and links. Living in the small town that are in parts are very limited. We measured the pin and it was .131 of inch. We tried and measured many objects and the closet we could come to a nail shaped pin, yes a nail. I went to the building centre and picked up a 7 inch spike. Measured it and it was .132 in and off I went to the garage. we measured the length added a touch, took a die grinder cut it off, rounded off the edges and it slipped into place. Shifter is back on and shifts smooth. I know this is not the best fix but when your in a pinch, any redneck idea may work. I am now on my way to the city to the scrap yards looking for 5 speed transmission that I can get a couple of these pins to have on hand. Again thanks to ChevyTech and anyone else who helped, it was much appreciated.
You are welcome!

Glad to hear of your progress, and thanks for sharing what you have found.

Nails are not bad metal and are harder then many other steels. Take a look at the governor weight pivot pins on the turbo 350 transmissions. I was told by an instructor when in trade school that they were finish nails.

If you are having no other issues with the transmission I would keep using it. Now if I could find a NV3500 cheap, I would buy it for a back-up. I call all my STUFF inventory. Grabbing another shifter would be easy.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote