View Single Post
Old 05-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #80
Modges'66

Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan, otherwise known as Beer City U.S.A.
Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

I got a chance to work on the box this past weekend, and while looking the box over I noticed that the rollpan that the PO had welded-in looked a little odd in a few places. upon some closer inspection, and attempting to put the tailgate into place, it was discovered that not only did the taigate not fit correctly, it didn't fit at all.
So, I then proceeded to cut the rollpan off with an abrasive wheel, so that I would be able to square-up the box sides with the box floor, resulting eventually with a tailgate that would fit....and fit properly.
Once that the rollpan was off, I used a porta-power, and a come-along to persuede the boxsides to regain squareness once again.
Now that the opening was square I started to fit the rollpan back into place. I tack-welded some pieces of angle iron onto the top edge of the tailgate, so that it would hang in place while I fitted the rollpan. This is when I noticed that if I were to weld it back into position where it previousley was fitted, the tailgate would collide with the rollpan upon opening the tailgate...It was definately positioned tooooo high. Also the rear box crossmember & the licence plate opening had some major intereference which was adding to the poor fit, so I am glad that I had cut it all off!
As you can see, it is all welded back into place, and the fit looks great.
I also made some little filler pieces for the bottom corners, and welded them in too, as I didn't like the way that it fit or looked. It looks good now though. I will slick it this weekend, along with plenty of other spots, and hopefully get some primer on it!
Attached Images

Modges'66 is offline   Reply With Quote