Thread: 1968
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #171
Bomp

Re: 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
You are definately making the right decision on keeping the 68 front clip, one of the "upgrades" im going to be doing to mine that you might consider is upgrading to the 69-72 wiring harness so you have side marker lights so people can see you at night.
When it comes to safety non-lighted reflectors just don't cut it, plus on top of that side markers that don't light up seem silly to me.
There is probably a guy around the forums here you could trade a 67-68 for a 69-72 harness if you don't have one or can't get one localy.
Also I noticed you did a ton of cutting all at once and partialy removed the floor and the Inner rockers simultaniously and didn't weld in any braces before hand.
The cab geometry (Square) can potentialy change on you with that much metal removed at once.
Things that can happen are the cab corners can move in or out and up and down, it can "twist", it can do all kinds of crazy things that you would have to put it on a frame table to correct.
Be very careful that your fit and fair doesn't go out of wack between the "A" and "B" pilar on both sides or your doors won't fit right and you will have a nightmare on your hands because you will have to cut it all back out and start over, don't say I didn't warn you it's very important that you get this right.
I realize you didn't know that because you aren't a body or frame man which is why im telling you.
I would have told you earlier but I didn't know you were going to do that, and I hate to worry you but it's far better you know this now rather than later when you find out the geometry is out of wack.
I've got my fingers crossed that it's still good.
Keep on truckin!
I agree... Not good to hear but has to be said. Your going at an Awesome pace, Really dig your build. In the past I've cut everything apart only to weld it back together just to cut it all apart again. School of hard knocks. Don't want you to have to go through what I did.
My build it kinda out in a different catagory (cab stretch) but I've got notes and have measured the snot out of everything, ie the straight square cart jig the cab is bolted to for a solid foundation. Believe me,,,,I could have 6 or 7 pages added to my build if I included all the pics of me measuring.
Can't wait to see all the new metal. Your doing great. Your smart and have a heart of gold. Plus you've got some great little helpers.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote