View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #16
ray_mcavoy

Re: 3 speed overdrive with an HEI distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Just so I make sure to get it right, how should I wire up the relay? I'm still new to wiring stuff, and I definitely don't want to get it wrong and screw something up
To use the RY-12 relay for interrupting power to the HEI for the overdrive kickdown, you would want to make the following connections:
  • Disconnect the power feed wire from the HEI distributor and re-connect it to terminal #1 on the relay.
  • Run a wire from the relay terminal #2 to the HEI power terminal. (*)
  • Connect a short jumper wire between the relay terminals #1 and #4. (**)
  • Connect the overdrive "ground-out" wire (that originally went to the negative coil terminal) to terminal #5 on the relay.
  • Leave terminal #3 unused.
(*) Note: Make this wire the same gauge (typically 12ga) as the one originally feeding the HEI.
(**) Note: This will result in 2 wires connected to the #1 terminal. To avoid a splice joining the 2 wires, there are special Packard/Delphi terminals available that will allow 2 wires to be crimped together into the same terminal.

And I know you're using an original overdrive relay, but for anyone else interested, to make use of the RY-12 as a substitute for the original OD relay, the connections are:
  • Connect the fused power feed wire to terminals #1 and #4. (***)
  • Connect the overdrive solenoid's power wire to terminal #3.
  • Connect the control wire from the kickdown switch to terminal #5.
  • Leave terminal #2 unused.
(***) Note: This double wire connection is not necessary with the original OD relay because it already has an internal connection between the relay's contact & coil.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote