View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #44
shaunatk

Re: My Project: 46 GMC on S10 Chassis with LSx Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
hey man, don't give up. When I built my first truck, it was on a whim. I never did anything but change my own oil before that. I've learned everything as I went, had to buy all my own tools, work in the worst garage ever but hey I'm still learning and have tons of projects sitting waiting and a couple I'm currently doing. This site and the net are almost all you need. If you have access to spot, there are lots of things to do without money, but ultimately that is what keeps a project going at some points. The tuffest thing isn't knowledge, cause its easily available, its taking time away from fam and money. Both of which these things take up. I'm lucky to support my fam, work 100 miles out of town and split my week up and still get one day on the weekend to really work on my stuff. For some odds are always against you (story of my life) but its how you face the adversities that make what you have worth so much more. thats something nobody can take from you.
I hear ya. If it was a stock body, in good condition, being mounted on a stock frame with a mustang II front suspension, I'd feel pretty comfortable doing most of the work myself.

Mounting the truck on a different frame was an absolutely tedious thing to do for the two of us working on it with a lift. I couldn't begin to imagine doing it myself without a lift.

Most of the body is mounted, but we ran into an issue with the back, as I was making decisions about how much to shorten the frame based on measurements I found online, but when we put the bed on we realized we were still about 6" too long. So, I either need to do a 4 link setup so I can move the rear end forward (more $$$), or shorten the frame some more.

Plus we need to figure out how we're going to mount the S10 column, and how to handle the steering shaft. And since it's an LS engine with custom motor mounts, getting the steering shaft to fit around the manifolds could be a nightmare.

And the cab of the truck is in terrific condition, only a couple of small patches needed where the fenders go over the cab. However, the rear fenders are a mess, and the front fenders have a ton of bondo in them, and I don't think I could ever get it right working on them myself.

Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=431631
shaunatk is offline   Reply With Quote