View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 10:19 PM   #12
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: serpentine setups..info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
Is it just me or does the Firebird setup look like it places the alternator and A/C compressor down lower and further outwards ?
Yes, the F-body and B-body cars are different brackets from the C/K trucks. The car brackets position the accessories lower and spread apart more at the top. Personally, I do not like the looks of the car brackets.

Which ever brackets you use be prepared to scare yourself silly when you have to drill a hole in the cylinder head for one of the bracket mounting bolts, unless you are running late model cylinder heads. I know I was nervous drilling and tapping a hole in the head. I can’t remember which side I had to drill on my old 350 though.....I think it was the driver's side. Heck it has been 10 years since I did that to Zoomad's engine when it was in my truck.

Word of the wise….do not bolt the brackets to the block with 3/8 bolts. Instead, use studs in the block and either nylon lock or prevailing torque nuts to fasten the brackets to the studs. You will need to use the big long bolts in some areas of the brackets though. Basically, bolt them on just as Generous Motors did on serp equipped vehicles.

In addition to changing the thermostat housing as Zoo stated you also need to change the water pump to a reverse rotation pump as the pump spins backwards with serpentine systems.

Here are the 4 different SB serpentine bracket systems to be found in the bone yards. The 4.3L V6 used the same brackets.

1) ’87 – 91’ stamped steel brackets. These are the least desirable as they are notorious for braking causing weird noises and belt squeaks. These are junk....don't buy them (First picture)
2) ’92 – ’95 aluminum brackets. (Second picture) GM also sells these brackets in kit form. GM part number 12497698 and goes for around $700. (Third pic) The down side to these brackets is you have to use the crappy R4 A/C compressor.
3) ’96 – ’04 (yep, the 5.7L was still around in 2004) These are good brackets as well and allow for the much more reliable Delphi A4 A/C compressor. These are the best in my opinion. (Fourth pic)
4) F and B body car brackets. I have a picture of those at home that I can scan in this weekend.
Attached Images