View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #106
justcuz

Re: '60 GMC Suburban (Project D-Daddy)

Cort,

You probably have 3.73 or maybe even 3.42's in the Burb. Great buy! I think GMC still used Dana 44 rear ends in these years so parts are easy to get. Your rear springs have plastic spacers in them that help when they get old and sag. Knock those things out of the springs, clean them up and reinstall them. It will probably drop over an inch or more with those spacers out. I would suggest going to standard 1/2 ton pickup springs if the originals don't drop it enough for you. Chevelle springs are taller and softer, a set of Chevelle wagon springs may work. You will need some additional support in the back while towing, maybe airbags inside the springs? If you look at most 1/2 ton Suburbans, the rear springs are generally heavier than a 1/2 ton pickup (especially in the newer ones) that why I suggested 1/2 ton truck springs. Are you going to install a 2 barrel carb on the burb or put your twin carb setup on it? Don't sell that old SM 420 short, besides being a little noisy that trans is bullet proof and the granny gear is great for the slow crawl through the campgrounds or cruise night! Sorry I have not kept up lately, been pursuing other interests, but I am retiring this year so I'll be around more. Were your front wheel bearings roller or tapered? I think the originals were rollers, my 61 Chevy was I know. The replacements were tapered Timkens.

P.S. I looked again at the spring spacers, you may have the old 2 piece metal style that bolted together, anyway those are a Mickey Mouse fix for sagging springs. Take them out you will definately lose an inch or more.

Last edited by justcuz; 04-03-2011 at 06:31 PM.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote