View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 09:21 PM   #249
hewittca

Re: Sullii the 72 GMC 1500

Fast forward after two weeks of waiting for my replacement tires. I'm not complaining though. Summit took the old tires back no questions asked, paid for shipping both ways, and refunded me the cost difference between the new and old tires. Can't beat that. The only catch was I had to get Coopers to replace the old set. They do not have many options left that fit 15" wheels these days, so I had to go with a tried and true setup: 225/70 fronts and 275/60 rears. I have now had 275/60s on the rear of all my vehicles. You'd think I would know by now that this size is what I like.

I was able to get these tires mounted up by the shop that mounted my last set the same day they were delivered. The 225/70 replaces the 215/75 Hankook that I had on the front originally. The new tire is a bit shorter and wider than the 215/75. The 275/60 on the rear is much wider and a little shorter than the 235/75 I had on the rear originally. This new rear tire fills out the wheel well much better and doesn't look stretched like the 235/75 did.

Seeing the truck back on the ground was like seeing it come together for the first time again. The white letter tires were fun to try, but ultimately this wheel/tire setup is much more my style. After seeing the truck with this setup I'm not sure I even want to revisit the 15x10s again. For now, I will keep them in the corner until I run this setup for a while and then make a decision.

All that was left at this point was to finish it off with some caps and go for a test drive. Overall, the truck felt significantly better with this new setup. The vibration at 2300 RPM was gone and the weird grabby steering issue was resolved. I should make note that going back to these wheels allowed me to go back to my original camber adjustment. The other tires forced me to remove 1/8" of shim and add 2 degrees of camber. It was also nice to have my steering radius back. It is a much more pleasant driving experience with this setup and with everything working properly. The truck just floats down the road so smoothly now and requires very little correctional steering input. It took me quite a bit of experimentation to get here, but I think it was worth it now that I know what does and doesn't work. I think for now I will focus on driving the truck and enjoying it while it is in such a fine tuned state.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is online now   Reply With Quote