View Single Post
Old 07-26-2016, 10:43 PM   #76
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
I agree with your thinking about the wrong kind of fluid being used in the hydraulic system. Can you rebuild the gear with new seals? And I've never noticed atf causing a rubber floor mat to swell, so maybe brake fluid got into the hydroboost?

Yeah, the torque sequence on the intake looks strange to me, tightening several bolts on the same side in a row. I've only ever seen starting at middle, going side to side working out to outside.

The 15 foot mower looks like a batwing? We have an old 15 footer that is flat and has zero flex. Use to use it a lot chopping corn stalks left after harvest and mowing pasture.

Good progress and engine is looking really nice!
First of all, the progress on your burb is just fantastic, I'm in awe of what your guy did fabricating the firewall.

Regarding the cross contamination of the fluids I went and spoke to my transmission guy and he thinks brake fluid got introduced as well. I already have new hoses and a new hydro boost unit which leaves me needing a rebuilt pump, steering box and the auxiliary pump (electric). I have a kit for the steering box but no instructions. I've scoured the Internet and found nothing; The factory service manual doesn't have instructions so I may have to purchase a rebuilt unit. I've only found one place so far that has a rebuilt box and it is 410.00! Seems like a shame when the seal kit was only 40 bucks Autozone shows to have a seal kit for the pump so I'll order the kit this week. The auxiliary pump is a bit over 200, so I guess I'll bite on that as well. This sure is cutting in to my available funds...

If anyone knows where I can get detailed instructions for rebuilding a Saginaw 710 steering box I sure would be grateful.

On the torque sequence, I figure Chevy built it I'll go with their instructions but I have that nagging feeling that I'll have to go back and do it over again!

The mower is a bat wing, it doesn't do the prettiest job in the world but I did in an hour what would take half a day with the zero turn.

I did not get any work done on the truck this weekend because I finally got back on rerouting power to the well on the farm house. I hope to be back on the truck next weekend.

Thanks for checking in.

-Richard