View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #96
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

OK, Labor day weekend...
Some weeks back I was in a quandary over installing the seal kit in the steering box. Advanced Design managed to get me a set of instructions to tear down and reassemble the box, however I was still scared of it. Then it hit me, I wonder if that 84 school bus that we have sitting out back has a compatible box. I really thought that it had the kind with the external ram but I opened up the tilt front end and sure enough there sat the exact same box minus all the leaks. I pulled it (another "20 minute job" that took 2 hours!), power washed it and painted it. Here are photos of the existing grungy box, the leak free box from the bus along with a couple of reference shots I took of the lines in case I get lost putting it back together. Check out the clamp holding the line in the 4th photo, the rubber has turned to goo!

Finally a shot of the box painted and ready to reinstall. For some reason I did not get a shot of it reinstalled, but it is there, torqued down with the new pump to box hose installed.

I fully intend to reseal the original box and eventually use both of them. Now that I have the spare I can tear into it without the fear of messing it up.

-Richard
Attached Images