View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 12:21 PM   #49
landarts
landarts

Re: 71 K20 Idaho Edition

So I decided to salvage what was good from the two cab tops I purchased last week. The one had a really clean and dent free skin so I thought I would attempt to remove the skin from the cab and save it for future use if needed. The repop skins are about $250 plus another $100 or so for freight. It took a while to drill out all of the spot welds and get it freed from the cab. After I removed it I knocked down any sharp edges then wrapped the edges in masking tape to avoid any sharp edges.

Then I brought the other cab top in the shop which was not as good as the first but the top skin portion I needed was not rusted up or dented so I marked out the same location as the cut out portion from the 71 K20. Cut it out with a 4.5 grinder and a metal cutting bit. Once it was cut out I did a little touch up grinding on the sides to get the fit ready for welding in. After that I flipped it over and cleaned of any debris that was there with a wire brush and gave it a good coat of Ospho to convert the surface rust with phosphoric acid.

Then I moved back up to the top of the truck to finish scrapping the tar solution off the metal and give it a full coat of Ospho and lay down some insulation that I use on the floors before installing carpet. Got the welder hooked up and did a few tacks and ran out of gas on the welder. To be continued after gas bottle is changed out.

Pict 1 - cab top number 1 skin removed and saving for future use
Pict 2 - under side of roof skin from cab top number 1
Pict 3 - Cab top number 2, cutting out replacement piece for 71K20
Pict 4 - Under side of replacement piece before Ospho treatment
Pict 5 - After treatment
Attached Images

Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote