View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #53
JW76

Re: 86 C10 Trailing Arm Conversion

I see that this has some new interest. I am home and started mocking things up. When I initially started researching this project I found the CPP kit and called on it and they said that it would work on long beds too.... It has been almost a year and I still have no part number for longs beds or further information. I started mocking up my truck with the 60s stock crossmember and the stock arms and I figured out that CPP informed me incorrectly. The kit will ONLY work on short beds. If you look at their install, the crossmember mounts under the cab where the frame starts to bend downward. You need a custom crossmember like the HRH truck to make anything work on a long bed. The crossmember cannot go between the frame rails because it puts way to much of an angle on the arms. It also cannot be mounted underneath because it is too low. Instead, you need to make a crossmember that mounts the arms so that the pivot point is even with the bottom flange of the frame. Also, I found that the frame widths are the same, so you can use the stock shock mount crossmember. In addition you could in theory use the stock style springs mounted to a bracket air ride part number A002E just mount them to the outside of the frame rails. It will give you the right width to use the coils since the coil frames flared out at that portion.
JW76 is offline   Reply With Quote