View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
Alex V.

Re: Here n' There (Pics, videos, updates, etc.)

Well, let's see - it's been a while since I've posted anything here! Haven't done much to the Suburban except drive it and hookup the defroster since the weather cooled down and I bought a 2013 Cruze - which is no substitute for the 'Burb, but after 9,000 miles seems like a great little car, gets 35 MPG dependably, and runs/drives like a go-cart.

The biggest news for the 'Burb is that I came by a nearly-exact correct 327 long block last weekend, which was one of the bigger missing pieces in my bone-stock restoration puzzle:

Casting code 3892657, stamping suffix "YS" (translates to a 220HP, 4 bbl., manual trans. truck application) 327 with casting no. 3814480 heads (70CC chamber, 1.72" intake valves), #4577 forged crank, a full set of rods and pistons, and most of the small internal parts. The bores and crank journals are all standard size, so it looks like I've got a great starting point for the powerplant. Build intentions are 100% stock - aside from simply wanting to experience the ol' girl as she was meant to be, I'd like to nail down some gas mileage and dyno figures eventually so I can publish some actual numbers for comparison's sake rather than the ever-more-frequent theoretical estimates or memory of how these engines really ran right off the assembly line.

Just stopping by to keep this current, more for documentation as the beginning of my build thread than anything else. Merry Christmas!

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.

Last edited by Alex V.; 12-12-2013 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Added info
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote