View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
MattPSU

Re: Crocodile Rocks Build Thread

I've gotten a lot accomplished since my last post here. Got everything disassembled, stripped, cleaned, and painted. Lots of wire wheel action. The frame cleaned up pretty nicely. Mostly just surface rust. I cleaned and painted the whole frame from the cab back and I did the out sides and bottom of the frame under the cab.

I used Master Series Coatings which went on pretty well. I used foam brushes to apply it. Lots of them. They're only good for 5-10 minutes then they start to fall apart. I think I went through 20 or so of them throughout the process. I did two coats of the silver primer and two coats of black. You have to be careful with runs using these brushes. I took my time and there's still a lot of little runs and thick spots. Overall I'm pretty happy with how the frame came out.

I also did the truck/trailing arms which I'm not as happy with. Mine had a little more than surface rust which kept them from looking very smooth when it was finished. The day I did them was a little colder and the black coat got some weird bubbles in a couple places. I'm not sure if that's from the cold or something else.

I've never used POR 15 but I don't think Master Series is as hard as POR 15 is said to be. This almost has a softer feel to it. Maybe I didn't use enough hardener.

Once everything was painted, I got started on putting everything back together. While I was at it, I replaced the diff cover seal and I put new brake shoes on.

The Porterbuilt Rear Stage One kit went together well. Thanks to Travis at Pro Performance for answering all of my questions. I can't recommend him enough.

Once everything was back together, I aired the system up. For the time being I'm doing it manually. I don't think my wife understood my interest in an air suspension at first, but she grinned when I showed her it going up and down.

Before I tore everything apart, my frame was 26.5" off the ground. With the bags aired up, the frame is 26" off the ground. Aired out, the bump-stop sits on the axle and the frame is 18" off the ground. I was surprised that I had 8" of travel in the rear.

I then installed my Boyd Welding tank. It sits inside the frame rail and I ran 3 bolts through existing holes in each side of the frame to hold it in place. I still need to run my fuel lines which I'll try to do in the upcoming weeks. I'm also happy with how well it fits. I was concerned about ground clearance with it, but it's not even close.

I also got to meet member Longhorn321. My old tank needed a new home and his truck needs a tank. Hopefully the good karma will help me out!

That's where things stand at the moment. Needless to say, it's very rewarding to have one part of the project accomplished. I'm also very excited to get the front end going, but I'll need to save my "allowance" so that I can afford the front kit, more paint, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote