View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 09:00 PM   #8
hewittca

Re: Introduction, nostalgia, and '68 build, oh my

My original quest for a truck focused on finding a mostly original 67/68 C10, preferably with a shortbed. I don't know why I specifically preferred these years out of the 67-72 trucks, but it's probably a good guess that it's because my dad had a '68. The truck I bought from JD was just that, a mostly original '68, and although it was longbed, that didn't even bother me once I got to check out this awesome truck. Although the odometer reads 12000, I assume it's at least 112000 and given the wear on the key, I wouldn't doubt if that was accumulated over many very short trips as a workhorse.

The interior is very clean, with all lights and original radio still working! The SPID is also still intact and in very good shape. As you can see again, my son is on cloud 9 playing in this truck!

As you can see from the SPID, this is an original power steering, power brake, powerglide truck, and with the 307 it is a breeze and joy to drive! It tracks straight down the road with no slop in the steering, shifts smoothly, and has plenty of power and response to get the truck moving.

The body is also in great shape, except for one dent on the right rear fender and one on the left front. The rockers are rock solid, and there is only one small hole in the passenger cab corner. The body mounts are also solid. The original paint was worked hard but still looks great overall. My wife also loved the truck, as you can see her here playing in the bed with my son.

About the only thing I noticed that wasn't factory original or original style were the widened wheels, which I think complement the look of the truck. Another cool bonus was it had all four original caps!

In keeping with my nostalgic theme, I drove the truck out on a trail through a field by my house and snapped a few more pictures. I brought the kids along and they were thrilled. My daughter also loves the truck.

My plans for now are to clean the truck up, go through and give it a thorough inspection and tune up. I have big plans for it much further down the line, but for now I am just going to enjoy this good old original truck. I will keep this thread updated with progress on the truck to continue documenting the journey. Enjoy!
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote